Tuesday, April 8, 2014

A sad note

I meet many women day to day.  But one woman stood out today.  She told me a story that happened only last year.  

A police officer pulled two men over for speeding.  Just off I-20.  In Greensboro.  There was a young girl in their backseat.  The police officer felt uneasy about the girl...he saw the fear in her eyes.  He asked the two men to step out of the car, and spoke to the young girl.  She said she was taken when she was 11 and has been raped by many men.  She was only 16.  The police officer later found that her parents had been looking for her and didn't know what happened to her.  For years. 

I recently attended a seminar about sex trafficking.  There were stories from unexpected areas, off I-20, I-285, North of the Perimeter, South of the Perimeter.  Areas you would not suspect.  Areas that should be safe.  People you would not suspect.  They were your neighbor.  Your friend. Even church members.  Atlanta's within the top cities being targeted.  I learned that Atlanta's doing such a good job that now they're moving...to Athens, to Augusta, and anywhere in between.  They don't stop, they just move.

It's a scary thought.  But that's just it.  For me, it's just a thought.  For those girls, it's their reality, their everyday.

Thankful for this woman for telling me this story.  As sad as it was to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment