Monday, April 7, 2014

Mandy




It's funny what old pictures can do.  I have been rummaging through life. And remembering this free-spirited, blissful, wide-eyed shy young girl...me. 
Makes me smile.
 I've connected with so many.  Young and old.  Colorless, colorful. What I love is that each has so much heart.  So much life.  So many stories.

My friend Mandy is no different.  We crossed paths at a pizza social event years ago.  Our connect: a friend and the same birthday.  
She's a beautiful woman, filled with so much heart.  Kind and loving.  I'm amazed by the ways she respects and finds beauty in the little things.  And how she takes everything in such stride.  Skills she puts to good use as a speech-language pathologist.
But she is not without her own struggles--recently lost some work hours.  So she is not able to cook those magnificent meals she'd like.
 Leftovers and crockpot are her way.  But like everything, she does it with such an esteem.
 Her inspiration: her parents, her family.
   
"My mom is a wonderful cook." 
Mandy grew up around a garden, family, and wonderful southern cooking.  Every meal was filled with quality time.  "It was a special time where we could connect at the end of the day, pray over food and the week, and talk about what's going on in our lives."

All that rapidly changed during her college years. That was a time of social food activities and late night study indulgences.  Now, Mandy makes more conscious choices.  Easy, conscious choices.  So simply and wonderfully, she indulges healthfully using her crockpot.  Delicious, tempting meals.
"Whether it’s eating with my family when we get together, eating at work with my co-workers, or getting coffee with a friend, food has been a major part of the glue between comfort and communication."

A glue I equally indulge in: food, people, life and love. Enjoy this delectable recipe:

Lemon Garlic Chicken White Bean Stew

No comments:

Post a Comment